So, when the phone rang and the number indicated it was him, I knew for sure it was cancer. For a moment there's a shiver of dread that runs through your body. I have to say that I've known deep down inside all along - ever since I first noticed it - that it was skin cancer. I shouldn't have been too suprised, however, as my sister, dad, and mom all have had it. The word cancer used to pretty much mean a death sentence, but there have been so many advances that now the survival rates are much better.
He told me it was squamous cell carcinoma and the biopsy showed the cells went out to the edge so I needed to come in again and have a larger area removed so the cells would show clear to the edge. Squamous cell carcinoma is a pretty common skin cancer, so I was pretty confident that by removing it everything would be just fine. I feel very fortunate and lucky - although I'm sad my tanning days are over!! I love a good tan and always feel so much better with a tan, but - I'd rather be healthy and alive!! I guess if you're going to get cancer, this is a good one to get!
One more time I really appreciate the good women I know that have survived their bouts of breast cancer - they are the true heroes and survivors!! I have several good friends that are breast cancer survivors - Theresa McClellan, Lena Frampton, and most recently my sister-in-law Beth. May I say that you women are true inspirations and I love each one of you.
















2 comments:
I really was sad and worried. All I can say for the men's comments...Cha...Men!!!
In the words of Lizzy, those pictures are disgusting! :)
Post a Comment