Saturday, December 13, 2008

O Christmas Tree!

I don't know why, but I'm having a REALLY hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. We got our lights and garland up outside, but I have not felt like decorating inside at all. With Christmas just around the corner, I figure I'd better at least get the tree up. What's Christmas without a tree? That's all I did this year - and the only ornaments that went on it were the ones I received as gifts.
I used to love putting up the tree. I wouldn't let anyone else help - that was my thing. I very carefully wound the lights (we use the multi-colored lights) so the lights would even be near the middle of the tree. I used somewhere between 1000 and 1200 lights and then topped it with a star that barely twinkles (I myself don't like blinking lights - is not relaxing at all). Then, I very strategically placed the ornaments. It would take me about 6 hours to put the tree together and the lights on and then finish with the ornaments.
Through the years and especially when the kids were younger I either bought or made them a new ornament every year, and then when they got married I'd give them their box of ornaments. I did pretty good for a lot of years but have been lax the last few years. I need to get back into that tradition again. They even hadve the ones they'd received when they were first born or made in grade school. Poor Krysta - she lost her ornaments in a move from their first place to their second place after getting married. Those things really were irreplaceable.
Anyway, I have some wooden ornaments I painted when Tonya was between 1 and 2. They came in a kit. They always go more towards the top so the kids can't reach them. I have others that mean alot to me and I try to put them more out of reach too. Then there are the ones that Dave's mom made using plastic canvas and yarn that are nearly indestructible. Those can go down where the kids can touch them. The rest are a myriad of ones collected or given as gifts over the years. It's a hodgepodge of ornaments, but each means something. Then, when I've finished the tree, I'd sit on the couch and just look at the tree and listen to Christmas music. Looking at the tree always makes me happy and brings such an assortment of memories. That's why it's so weird that this year I didn't want to do much of anything for decorating.

No comments: