Some things you just don't forget. It's hard to believe that 7 years have gone by since that fateful day - September 11, 2001. Our neighbor Matt had come to pick up Mitch to catch the bus to the junior high. When I answered the door he asked me if I'd been watching TV. I told him no, he said "turn it on". I asked him what channel and he said it didn't matter. I asked what was going on and he just told me to turn on the TV. It was BIG! I went downstairs and turned on the TV, and watched as the 1st tower fell. I thought to myself - did I just see what I thought I saw. The man on TV pretty much said the same thing - reroll that tape - it looks like one of the buildings just collapsed. I then spent the next 48 hours doing pretty much nothing but sitting, glued to the TV. It's still unbelievable to think of what actually happened, and to think that people in other countries hate us so much (or are so jealous of what we're blessed to enjoy) that they will kill innocent people. May we never forget how blessed we are and all the liberties we enjoy.I have to say - I do have a favorite thing about this day - and that is the sight of so many flags waving. I remember 7 years ago driving down pretty much any street and seeing the flag proudly being displayed. I still love the flag, and love the respect it's given - standing at attention when it goes by, hands over hearts, and men taking their hats off. I hope it's always given respect, and it saddens me when people don't show it the respect it deserves.
I love this song by Lee Greenwood: God Bless the USA
If tomorrow all the things were gone
I'd worked for all my life,
And I had to start again
with just my children and my wife,
I'd thank my lucky stars
to be living here today,
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
and they can't take that away.
I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
From the lakes of Minnesota
to the hills of Tennessee,
Across the plains of Texas
from sea to shining sea.
From Detroit down to Houston
and New York to L.A.,
There's pride in every American heart
and it's time we stand and say:
I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
















No comments:
Post a Comment