Saturday, September 25, 2010

One Week Down, Not Sure How Many To Go!

I decided last Sunday I wanted to feel good again about how I looked. I'd worked so hard last year to lose weight and had been quite successful. I'd kept working out and eating right - even through the holidays. Then, while still working at JetBlue (wow, that seems a lifetime ago and yet it's been only a few months) we changed from one reservation system (Flight Speed) to a new one (Sabre) at the end of January. Mandatory overtime went into effect for all of February - 7 hours/week for the first 2 weeks and 4 hours/week for the 2nd 2 weeks. I was in the Groups departmet at the time and ALL shifts had to be worked at the center. My schedule was 7-3:30 Wednesday - Friday, so I started going in so I'd work my overtime before the shift started. I got up at 3:30 am and was on the road to Salt Lake between 4:00 and 4:15. It's a half hour drive to the center and traffic wasn't bad at that hour of the morning, but on the way home it would usually take at least 45 minutes. By the time I got home each day I was tired, and didn't go to the gym to work out (I'm one of those that if I don't go in the morning, I don't go). I also got lazy with watching what I ate (I'm so much more careful about what I eat when working out) so some of that weight I'd worked so hard to get off found it's way back. I got discouraged and have been very disappointed in myself for allowing it to creep back on. So, Sunday I said "NO MORE" and decided to start exercising again and eating right using what I'd learned during the 100-Day Heart Challenge.
Monday morning rolled around and I just couldn't get out of bed early enough to go to the gym. I did eat right that day, however. But, Tuesday morning I made myself get out of bed. I want to be down as much as possible before we go to Hawaii. So, this week I went to the gym every morning Tuesday thru Friday, so week 1 is over. I've been careful about what I've eaten - even when working at Holy Cow. I didn't have any of the Big Buns and only 1 piece of Wendy Sue's toffee (love that stuff). I only drank water - no pop (soda or whatever you want to call it). I figure a person can do anything for 6 weeks and that's what's left before we leave. By then, I'll be in the habit of eating smaller portions and healthy food again and will be hooked on exercising.
I do feel so much better after exercising. I've been walking on the treadmill - always kick up the incline as high as it will go, but I'm also doing some running (at no incline). I'm running in a 6k October 9 with Tonya at Thanksgiving Point (I hate to admit I'm not sure which if any of my other daughters are running it too) so I'm trying to get used to running. I try to increase the time running each day so that at least I can run a fair portion of the way. Running's not my forte, but I find as my body gets used to it (and after a certain point) it kind of settles into a groove and I do OK. I'm hoping that as I lose the poundage and get more into shape I'll find it'll get easier to run. Who knows, maybe some day I'll even try a half-marathon. Wait, am I too old for that - we'll see!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

You are awesome. I really admire your determination. You are a great example of self-discipline. That is something I really wish I had more of.