


In some ways it seems we've known each other forever, in others it seems like only yesterday! On September 10 we celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary and as I reflect over the past 31 years I am reminded one more time as to how blessed I am. Heavenly Father gave me this wonderful man to share not only this life with but eternity. We have shared so many experiences together as we've walked this path thus far, and have many more to look forward to. I can't imagine myself with anyone else as he complements my personality (notice that's complements, not compliments, but he does that too!!) He has helped me to grow and change in so many positive ways and I'm a much better person today because we're together.
What do I love the most about him? I remember when we first met thinking that he had the bluest eyes I'd ever seen, the friendliest smile, and very manly hands. Today I see his real love and compassion for others, his sincere desire to serve our Savior in whatever way is asked of him, his kindness, his devotion to me and our family, and so many other wonderful qualities. He is a real person, not one out to impress others, but he will treat others - no matter what their age - as important and of value. I feel very lucky to have had him choose me as his companion and am thankful for all that we've experienced together - good and bad, happy and sad - because those experiences have made us the people we are today.
We celebrated this occasion that evening with dinner at Sizzler with a couple from our ward - Chris and Becky Cardon - and a stop at Baskin-Robbins for ice cream on the way home. The flavor of the evening for me - Love Potion #31, of course!! Ummmm - so good!
Tonight we went with the Cardon's to Sundance to enjoy the moonlight ride on the chairlift up the mountain and back down again. It was a wonderful night - not a cloud in the sky, a full moon, an evening temperature that was comfortable - especially with a sweatshirt, jacket, and blanket - under a plethora of stars. What a delightful way to spend a Monday night (I highly recommend this to everyone). The full moon bathed the mountain in just the right amount of light it was absolutely stunning. I love Timpanogos Mountain, and tonight she was even more majestic and picturesque.
Dave and I met in Brainerd, Minnesota, on March 24, 1976, 3 days after he got home from his mission in Sweden. I was a convert of almost 2 months, having joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on January 31, 1976. We met at his parents' house where the young adults had gathered for an evening of roller skating at the local Rollarena. He finally got the courage to ask me to skate with him during the last song of the night. The next morning he and his family left for Salt Lake for 10 days, but after they returned we started dating and a year later got engaged on March 24, 1977.
In April we went to our mission president Douglas Callister (we were part of a district so that's who we had to talk to) to discuss our plans to get married in September. Even though I had always wanted to get married in April, we felt that was way too soon to plan a wedding. Dave worked for his dad as a route driver and vacations were not allowed between Memorial Day and Labor Day. With hunting season starting in October we had to work the wedding in before then!! At that time we were in the Washington DC temple district and President Callister told us that the way the law was written in Maryland a couple had to apply in person and wait 2 days to get their marriage license. Because of this the church recommended that couples should get married civilly first and then go directly to the temple to be sealed. In July Maryland changed their law and there was no more waiting period so the church changed their policy and said couples should go directly to the temple and be married there.
With my family not being members of the church and our plans already been made we went back to President Callister and asked what we should do. (Our plans were to be married in the little chapel in my home town of Bemidji, MN, on September 10 and then be sealed in DC on September 14.) He suggested we write the First Presidency and get special permission to proceed with our plans. We received a letter back from President Kimball allowing us to do just that, but also told us we should encourage other young couples to plan to be married in the temples of the Lord.
Now, imagine how exciting this is:
As you check in to your hotel on your wedding night you ask for a wakeup call for 4:00 am (the clerk looks at you and says umhmm). You have a legitimate reason to ask this - you need to be back in Brainerd (2 hours away) to meet your in-laws at 7:00 because the 4 of you are driving to Washington DC together!! (What better way to start your honeymoon than to spend it with a new mother-in-law that wishes you were someone else!!) We got to stop and stay in Chicago the night of the 11th at Dave's uncle's, the night of the 12th somewhere in Pennsylvania, and finally arrived in DC on the 13th. Early the next morning we went to the temple and I'll tell you - I'll never forget that first sight of the temple as we came around a corner on the DC Beltway and there it was - up on the hill almost floating in the trees. It was SO majestic-looking. The beltway actually curves around this temple, giving it a spectacular presentation.
After the sealing and pictures the plan was to drop Dave's parents off at their hotel and they would take a shuttle to the airport and fly home. We were to keep their car and honeymoon in DC. His mom always teased me that as far as they were concerned, I "couldn't get them to their hotel fast enough and we didn't even stop to let them out - we just kind of slowed down a bit and shoved them out the door as we rolled by". Seriously though, it was a grand way to begin our lives together and spending the next week in DC filled with fabulous places to visit and see was an exciting time for us.
















2 comments:
That was very touching. Reading about your sweet husband, and your wonderful life together, coupled with the music that was playing, actually gave me tears. Congratulations on 31 wonderful years. I hope Perry and I follow in your footsteps.
Hey Barb! It's Brooke from MLP. I found your blog through Missy, and I just loved that touching post about your cute husband. Look at what an amazing thing you two started 31 years ago!!! I love your background and Missy's too, but I can't leave comments on Missy's blog so let her know that Taylor is such a doll! Keep in touch. I miss seeing you and your girls :)
Post a Comment