Sunday, September 14, 2008

Making Jam



It all started Tuesday afternoon on my way home from work. I stopped at the Harward Farms stand near Walker's at the intersection of Geneva Road and Sam White's Lane. I had planned to get 1/2 dozen ears of corn and a basket of tomatoes. They also had a flat of raspberries so I thought to myself - Dave would love to have some homemade raspberry jam, tomorrow's our anniversary, so I'll surprise him with some jam. I bought the flat and went home and proceeded to make the jam. Then I thought - hmmm, we have all those peaches out there and he's mentioned that he thought peach jam would be good. So, I went out and picked some peaches and made some peach jam, too. The girls were over so I had some extra help from the grandkids as I made the jam. That day I ended up with 8 pints of raspberry and 13 pints of peach jam.
Wednesday I stopped at the stand and got 2 more flats and made more jam, Thursday I went out and picked more peaches and made peach jam, Friday I bought 2 more flats and made more raspberry jam. When all was said and done, we ended up with 101 pints of jam - 54 peach, 47 raspberry. Dave had said it would be nice to have a pint a week of homemade jam for a year - I'm not sure he meant a pint a week of two flavors, but oh well - he'll be thinking life is "sweet" for the next year!!
Truth be told, I have to admit, I love to make jam! It's actually pretty easy. The recipes I use are:
Raspberry Jam:
5 cups mashed raspberries
7 cups sugar
1 box Sure-Jell
1/2 tsp butter
Peach Jam:
4 cups finely chopped peaches
5 1/2 cups sugar
1 box Sure-Jell
1/2 tsp butter
2 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Stir fruit, butter, pectin (and lemon juice for the peach jam) together. Bring to boil, add sugar, boil 1 minute. Skim off foam, fill jars to about 1/8 from top, screw lid on, turn upside down, let stand 5 minutes, turn right side up, should seal as it cools. Simple - yet so tasty!!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

OH MY GOODNESS, you are awesome. I am so envious! I may have to attempt that adventure myself. Now I just need to watch your trees for some of those peaches! Thanks for sharing the recipes. Great pics too. And I LOVE the new topper!

The Keetch Klan said...

Barb! I love, love, love your Blog! I've just spent the past 30 min. reading everything-your amazing. I wish I had all this jam. I usually make it every yeat and it just didn't happen this time-oh, well! You'll need to show me how to get borders around pictures. Love your header, too!